Friday, February 25, 2011

Paleo Baby

A few days ago we took Jason to the local barber shop and got his first haircut.
To me, and probably most other moms, this is considered a milestone in a baby's life. I even considered taking home a few of his locks...ya know, in case I ever get into scrapbooking. This is no surprise, considering I'm the kind of mom who cried silently in the bathroom the night before my baby boy turned a year old.



For anyone who cares is wondering, he did really well for his first time.

While the barber was cleaning up, she asks,

"Does he like suckers?"

I hesitate to consider the question and politely say,

"Oh, he's never had candy before."

And she immediately repeated my answer to the other barber in the station next to her.
"He's never had candy before!!!"

You'd think, from their reaction, that I'd just said something bazaar like: "He's never seen the sky before" or "he's only got one testicle". They went crazy over it.


Really, though. Kids are being introduced to candy and sugary drinks way too early these days.

Why does a child even need candy? Or anything that contains refined sugar, for that matter.

I'm in no way trying to portray a holier than thou image, but personally, I just don't believe in giving a baby/toddler candy at all. Yes, even if he's been good during his haircut/doctor/dental appointment. So sue me.

My son, who is a happy & healthy 20 month old, eats whatever I eat.
He eats eggs, meat, veggies, and fruits.
For beverages, he has two options: Almond milk or water. Most of the time, it's water.

By the way, he doesn't eat nuts or seeds (yet) due to a tree nut allergy incident that I'm still paranoid about.

I don't buy him sugary Gerber snacks (aka baby junk food). Or Mott's for Tots juice. Or whatever "whole grain" food from a commercial telling me what my son "needs in order to grow up healthy".

The only few times he does get to eat cookies, cheezits, and crackers etc. is at his grandparents' house and maybe when we go out to eat at a restaurant (which is a rare occasion). I want him to have that special time with his grandma & grandpa. Sometimes, we let him taste our coconut ice cream too. Just a taste :)

Mainly, it's a paleo thing. I want my child to grow up healthy--every parent does. It's also the fact that I don't like having any temptation in my house. Oh, how I looove to fall under the temptation of sweets! But another thing is, I stress easily over the inflating prices of groceries-it's a mom thing. And I'd much rather spend my grocery budget on healthy foods than processed foods that will keep me further from my fitness goals.

I'm fortunate to have a son who loves food as much as I do. And I hope he loves eating paleo as much as I do for awhile because it doesn't look like my cooking skills will be improving any time soon!

End of polite rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment